Today is the last Alien Eye in The Sky episode for 2016, so rather than just recapping the week, we thought we’d take a look at what’s transpired over the course of 2016.
To be honest, I underestimated the huge task at hand, and after researching several hundred breaches, decided that it was better to break down the incidents into trends and take samples from each.
Hopefully this will give a renewed appreciation of how much the cyber security challenge is growing across the world and across all industries.
So, without further ado, all the stories mentioned in the video are linked below.
Happy holidays everybody!
Password re-use attacks
- Banner Health which impacted 3.7m patients
- Turkish state hospitals 10m patients
- Queen Mary Hospital in Hong Kong saw 3,600 records accessed
- Al Zahra Private Medical Centre in the UAE had 4,600 records accessed.
- Specialist healthcare providers such as the New Jersey Spine Centre, and the Center for Neurolosurgical and Spinal Disorders also suffered breaches.
It’s Not all fun and Games
- The Philippines commission on Elections was attacked a month before the country held its 3rd automated elections
- The personal information of over 93.4million Mexican citizens had their voter registration details exposed online.
- Illinois online voter registration portal hacked, information compromised
- Every voter in Louisiana's details exposed
- In Ghana, the Electoral Commission had four computers stolen that were used for biometric voter registration.
Educational institutes were far from immune with over 100 reported hacks, leaks, and errors reported over the year.
- The Indian Institute of Management was hacked and results of CAT exam released
- University of Central Florida
- NC State University
- Jacksonville State University
- University of Liverpool
- University of Ottawa missing hard drive with data on 900 students
- Saga prefecture schools
- Defcon IoT village saw 47 new vulnerabilities discovered in devices
Miscellaneous hacks and breaches through the year
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Azerbaijani hackers leak secret data from Armenian intel server
- World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) hacked
- Adani Power Ltd. India
- Zameen.com Pakistani real estate giant hacked, entire DB leaked.
- Siliconware Precision Industries in Taiwan suspected an engineer stole data.
- Christians against poverty saw bank details, phone numbers, and other data stolen.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Rhode Island Blood Center
- South Africa’s Department of Water Affairs
- Yahoo hack