When you configure ObserveIT to send logs through NXLog to USM Anywhere, you can use the ObserveIT plugin to translate the raw log data into normalized events for analysis.
|Device type||Unified Threat Management|
Integrating ObserveIT Logs
The ObserveIT plugin leverages the integration support that ObserveIT provides for the HP ArcSight SIEM monitoring software. To configure the SIEM Log Integration, follow the ObserveIT documentation, Configuring CEF Log Integration.
Important: Follow the steps closely and keep all the default values even though they contain the word "ArcSight". The NXLog configuration file that you download from AlienVault has been specified to parse logs in the default location.
Before you configure the integration, you must have the IP address of the USM Anywhere Sensor.
To install NXLog CE and configure forwarding
- Download the newest stable NXLog Community Edition.
- Make a backup copy of the original C:\Program Files (x86)\nxlog\conf\nxlog.conf file and give it another name.
- Download the NXLog configuration for USM Anywhere and save it as your new nxlog.conf file.
Open the configuration file for editing and replace usmsensoriphere with the IP address of the USM Anywhere Sensor.
USM Anywhere listens for syslog at UDP port 514, TCP port 601, or TLS/TCP port 6514.
Depending on the protocol you decide to use, edit the configuration file as detailed below. Make sure USM Anywhere allows inbound requests to the corresponding port.To Use UDP
Keep the defaults and move to the next step.To Use TCP
To Use TLS
- Replace define OUTPUT_DESTINATION_PORT 514 with define OUTPUT_DESTINATION_PORT 601.
In <Output out>, replace Module om_udp with Module om_tcp.
Note: If you are collecting logs from other products as detailed in the next step, you must modify the Output settings in the corresponding section as well. For example, if you are collecting logs from Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), you will need to update the <Output IIS_OUT> section too.
- First, you need to download the certificate from USM Anywhere, and place the file USM-Anywhere-Syslog-CA.pem in C:\Program Files (x86)\nxlog\cert.
In the nxlog.conf file, add define CERTDIR %ROOT%\cert after the last define statement.
- Replace define OUTPUT_DESTINATION_PORT 514 with define OUTPUT_DESTINATION_PORT 6514.
In <Output out>, complete these steps:
- Replace Module om_udp with Module om_ssl.
Add these two lines:
Note: If you are collecting logs from other products as detailed in the next step, you must modify the Output settings in the corresponding section as well. For example, if you are collecting logs from IIS, you will need to update the <Output IIS_OUT> section too.
Some sections in the nxlog.conf file have been commented out to improve performance. Depending on which product you want to collect logs from, you need to uncomment the corresponding section.
- To collect logs from the ObserveIT SIEM Log Integration, uncomment the section between OBSERVEIT and /OBSERVEIT.
- Save the file.
- Open Windows Services and restart the NXLog service.
- Open USM Anywhere and verify that you are receiving NXLog events.
Note: If you need to debug NXLog, open C:\Program Files (x86)\nxlog\data\nxlog.log.
The ObserverIT plugin automatically processes all messages when the raw message contains ObserveIT.
Available Plugin Fields
The following plugin fields are important attributes extracted from the syslog message. The USM Anywhere reports use these fields, and you can also reference them when creating custom reports. In addition to reporting, the USM Anywhere correlation rules make use of these fields.
- customfield_0 → EventCategory or Area or AlertDetails or SessionId
- customfield_1 → EventSource or Item or OS
- customfield_2 → EventTypeCode or Action
- customfield_3 → ConfigProprtyName
- customfield_4 → TypeOfChangeStr
- customfield_5 → NewValue
- customfield_6 → Printer
For troubleshooting, refer to the vendor documentation: