When you configure Wing FTP Server to send log data to USM Appliance, you can use the Wing FTP Server plugin to translate the raw log data into normalized events for analysis.
|Vendor||Wing FTP Software|
|Device Type||FTP Server|
|Data Source Name||wing-ftp-server|
|Data Source ID||1887|
Integrating Wing FTP Server and NXLog
Before you configure Wing FTP Server to send logs to USM Appliance through NXLog, you must enable logging in Wing FTP Server.
Configure Wing FTP Server Log Settings
To enable Wing FTP Server logging
- Login to the Wing FTP Server administration through a web browser.
You can choose to enable Admin Log, Server Log, Domain Log, or all three logs.
- To enable Admin Log, go to Administration > Settings > General Settings, select Enable Admin Log and keep the default log filename.
- To enable Server Log, go to Server > Settings > General Settings, select Enable Server Log and keep the default log filename.
To enable Domain Log, go to Domains and select a domain, then go to Settings > General Settings. Select Enable Domain Log and add "AV-" to the beginning of the log filename, like this:
Click OK to save your changes.
To send log data through NXLog to USM Appliance
If not done already, download nxlog.conf, and then place it in the conf directory of your NXLog installation. Depending on which version you use, the directory can be C:\Program Files (x86)\nxlog\conf for the 32-bit version or C:\Program Files\nxlog\conf for the 64-bit version.
Note: This step overwrites the default nxlog.conf file. You may want to back up the original copy before placing the one provided by AlienVault.
- Open the nxlog.conf file in a text editor.
Update the root path of your NXLog installation.
Locate the following lines:
#define ROOT C:\Program Files\nxlog
#define ROOT C:\Program Files (x86)\nxlog
- Uncomment the path that matches the NXLog installation on your Windows machine.
Enter the USM Appliance Sensor IP address.
Locate the following line:
define OUTPUT_DESTINATION_ADDRESS <USM-Appliance-Sensor-IP>
- Replace <USM-Appliance-Sensor-IP> with the IP address of the USM Appliance All-in-One or USM Appliance Sensor that will receive the Windows events.
Uncomment the section between WINGFTP-NXLOG and /WINGFTP-NXLOG.
Important: Only remove the first # symbol in each line when uncommenting the sections. The remaining # symbol indicates that the line is either a comment or optional.
You need to enable all three sections, <Input in_wingftp_admin>, <Input in_wingftp_server>, and <Input in_wingftp_domain>, even if you do not collect all three logs.
In the following line, replace <EDIT THIS WITH YOUR DOMAIN NAME!> with the domain name defined in your Wing FTP Server:
define WING_DOMAIN <EDIT THIS WITH YOUR DOMAIN NAME!>
For example, if your domain is called "my-FTP-domain", this line should look like:
define WING_DOMAIN my-FTP-domain
- Save the file.
- Start or restart the NXLog service.
For plugin enablement information, see Enable Plugins.
If enabling the plugin on assets, you will find it listed as Wing FTP Software : Wing FTP Server : -.
Additional Resources and Troubleshooting
For troubleshooting, refer to the vendor documentation: