|Applies to Product:||USM Appliance™||AlienVault OSSIM®|
USM Appliance has different levels of user accounts for administration and management:
Root user — Created during the USM Appliance installation. The root user is equivalent to a Linux root user. The root user and the default admin may be the same person in the organization.
The root user
- Can access and perform all operations in the USM Appliance console (the command line interface).
- Can reset password for all users including the default admin user.
Default admin — Created the first time a user accesses the USM Appliance web UI. A default admin is typically responsible for ensuring the security of the company network.
The default admin is created when you first install USM Appliance. By default, USM Appliance gives this user the username admin, which cannot be changed. If you want to review the instructions for creating the default admin user, see
Create the Default Admin User.
The default admin
Has complete access and visibility into the USM Appliance web UI.
- Has full administrative privileges.
- Can create admins with full access to the USM Appliance web UI and users with varying degrees of access to specific USM Appliance components.
- Can reset password for self, admin, and normal users.
Admin — Created by the default admin to help administer USM Appliance. Admins may be members of the IT department who are responsible for assisting with network infrastructure. The default admin determines the level of access for each admin.
- Has all the administrative privileges of the default admin.
- Cannot delete the default admin.
- Can reset password for self, other admin, and normal users.
Users — Created by an admin and have varying degrees of access to the USM Appliance web UI. Users may be responsible for tasks such as generating reports or administering tickets.
- Can view the parts of USM Appliance that have been granted to them by an admin.
- Can see only the activity of other users who belong to the same entity as they do.
- Can update their own account including password reset.
- Cannot create other user accounts.