To protect your USM Central account, enable multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA adds extra security because it requires multiple factors to authenticate a user, making it more difficult for an unauthorized person to gain access to the account. In USM Central, MFA provides a layered defense of two independent credentials: what you know (your user account name and password) and what you have (security token on your personal device).
To use multi-factor authentication in USM Central, you must have a mobile device that supports an Authenticator app. AlienVault recommends the Google Authenticator app, which is available for iOS and Android devices. Google Authenticator implements two-step verification services using the Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) algorithm and HMAC-based One-time Password Algorithm (HOTP) for authentication.
Before you set up MFA for your account, you must install the Authenticator app on your device.
To configure MFA for your account
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the USM Central web UI and select My Settings.
Select the Enable Multi-Factor Authentication checkbox.
The panel expands to provide a unique QR code that is used by the Authenticator app to retrieve a verification code. The code will be emailed to you as well.
- Open the Authenticator app on your device.
- Scan the QR code using the Authenticator app.
- Click Save in the My Settings window.
- Click the icon and select Logout.
- Click Login.
- On the login page, enter your user account/password and click Login.
- Enter the one-time passcode in the text box of USM Central and click Verify Code and Login.