• Support
  • Forums
  • Blogs

Alien Vault 5.3.2 or 5.3.3 OVA files failing on VMware 6.5

andrew.abwogaandrew.abwoga

New Life Form
Cannot install ova file on VMWARE esxi 6.5.  Error: Failed to deploy VM: postNFCdata failed.  I tried other ova files from other companies and they install fine.  So far only Alien Vault.  Please help!

Share post:

Answers

• edited December 2016

An NFCdata error is not a client error, but a host error generated by ESXi when it cannot write the disk image to storage. Can you confirm that there ares no storage errors on the system, and that there is at least 1.2TB+ 24GB  of space available on the datastore (assuming this is an All-in-One image).
  • We can go into the datastore and upload the ovf itself -
    so the concept of uploading and storing the data is ok. There's over 5TB of
    storage space and only 1 other small virtual machine running at the moment.
    This is a new physical Dell server.

• Sorry, it did not.
  • I'm getting the same problem. Any luck on this?
  • I ran into a similar issue. I solved by using the VMWare OVFtool to convert the OVF/OVA to a new OVA, which will create a new ovf, vmdk and manifest (mf) file.

You will need a VMWare account to download.

I would copy the original AV OVA/OVF into the OVFtool directory then run the OVFtool from the command line and convert it there.  Then copy the new file to your desktop and install.

I was able to use the converted file without incident for an installation in VCenter 6.5.

Thanks,
    -Alex-
  • Extract the OVA container so that you have ovf and vmdk.gz and checksum mf file. 

Uncompress the vmdk.gz and edit the .ovf file removing compression and .gz 

EXAMPLE FOLLOWING EDITING:

<References>

<File
    ovf:href="VMWARE-AlienVault_USM_xxx_xxx_5.3.3-disk1.vmdk"
    ovf:id="file1" ovf:size="1081064742"/>

</References>

• 1) Extract the OVA container so that you have ovf and vmdk.gz and checksum mf file. 

2) unzip the vmdk.gz and edit the .ovf file removing  ovf:compression="gzip" tag  and .gz within the vmdk <References> 

EXAMPLE OVF References section FOLLOWING EDITING:

<References>
    <File ovf:href="VMWARE-AlienVault_USM_xxx_xxx_5.3.3-disk1.vmdk" ovf:id="file1" ovf:size="1081064742"/>
    </References>

3) Drag just the vmdk and ovf file into the Sphere Web Client OVF deploy window to deploy the USM Appliance. 
    Seclock
  • Root cause is NFC "network file copy" errors as per default for OVA to compress the vmdk and provide a checksum .mf that is known issue. 

VPSHERE 6.5 Release notes: 

Note that you can create a new sha1 checksum for the vmdk following uncompressing and replace the one in .mf file as well remove the .gz reference leaving it pointing to the .vmdk save all and recompress all three files as an ova. 
  • Thank you guys,and sorry for the delay.

I was able to deploy directly using the ovftool like so:
    ./ovftool \
    --acceptAllEulas --noSSLVerify --skipManifestCheck \
    -ds="datastore1" --diskMode=thin \
    --net:"bridge"="VM Network" \
    ~/<path to ova>/VMWARE-AlienVault_USM.ova \
    vi://root:<password>@<IP to ESXi>
  • Following this solved my problem

1) Extract the OVA container so that you have ovf and vmdk.gz and checksum mf file. 

2) unzip the vmdk.gz and edit the .ovf file removing  ovf:compression="gzip" tag  and .gz within the vmdk <References> 

EXAMPLE OVF References section FOLLOWING EDITING:

<References>
    <File ovf:href="VMWARE-AlienVault_USM_xxx_xxx_5.3.3-disk1.vmdk" ovf:id="file1" ovf:size="1081064742"/>
    </References>

3) Drag just the vmdk and ovf file into the Sphere Web Client OVF deploy window to deploy the USM Appliance. "

Thanks for sharing!
  • Salu2 listeros, entiendo más o menos pero mi plataforma de virtualizacion es Proxmos y no he logrado instalar AV-OSSIM5.3.3 en una VM de
    Proxmox 4.4, me regresa un error en la configuración del paquete
    alientvault-openvas8-feed y tampoco deja instalar el cargador de arranque.

• edited July 15
    Following this solved my problem. คาสิโนออนไลน์