• Support
  • Forums
  • Blogs

Protecting your Virtual Privacy in 2017

blesliebleslie

AlienVault Employee
+14
Privacy is something everyone should be concerned about in 2017. And while it would be great if common security measures could protect us completely, exploits happen even with the best security technology and training. 

Check out the new blog by Grant Foster:

Tell us what you think! Is 'virtual privacy' even possible today? 
rameshkumarhbaxamoosaCacturTheCyberSentry

Share post:

Comments

• I think it is, but it takes measures like this described in the blog if you really want privacy.  I don't think we should have to go to these lengths to ensure privacy though. 
    blesliekatebrew
  • Privacy is a cultural concept that needs backing up and enforcing by controls and systems. We will never have complete privacy because humans are inquisitive and don't always respect boundaries. All we can do is try to guide and where necessary control that curiosity.
  • Thanks for sharing that bleslie. :) 
  • I think it is, but we still have to put a lot of trust in the things we use. 

For example, at home I use a VPN. I am not doing anything naughty, I just don't want my ISP being able to easily access, and sell my browsing history. However reading some of the VPN provider's documentation makes me raise my eyebrow. In one statement they say "We don't store logs". Then in another statement they say "You won't get in trouble unless you abuse our system". This makes me wonder "wait a minute....which one is it? Do you store logs or don't you?". What is also concerning is what we don't know, especially with things like the NSA backdoor tools out there. 

Or maybe I should just take my tinfoil hat off. :)
  • Having the latest security software is the best defense against viruses and malware. I have heard that making your password a sentence will be a lot tougher to them to hack into your website. Speaking of hacking I recently read a blog about it online ( http://protectionplus.ca/blog/how-to-secure-your-website-from-being-hacked/ ). Learn the newest schemes so you always know what to look for and how to protect your site against new changes. A simple online search can let you know what hackers are doing to target websites. Online schemes are often complex and extend far beyond junk mail scams. Install a WAF (web application firewall) to act as a barrier between your server and your site, intercepting any harmful data that’s trying to pass through. WAFs are useful because they give hackers a hard time and make it almost impossible for them to access your website.
  • Ask for this information.
  • edited July 1
    Thanks for sharing that bleslie. :) 

• edited July 4
    It is very interesting. I've been searching for answers for a long time.

• Great write up! Thanks for this info! This will help me defend my point of view on privacy. :)
  • edited September 6