AlienVault Closes $22.4 Million Series C Funding Led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sigma
SAN MATEO, Calif. – July 9, 2012 – AlienVault, the only open and collaborative Unified Security Management platform delivering integrated controls and full visibility, today announced that it has closed a $22.4 million Series C funding round led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) and Sigma, with participation from existing investors Trident Capital and Adara Venture Partners. The funding will be used to expand the company’s sales, marketing and support functions as well as further invest in research and development.
- KPCB Managing Partner Ted Schlein, whose information security investments have also included Fortify Software (HP), ArcSight (HP), ISS (IBM), Mandiant, Shape Security and others, will join AlienVault’s board of directors. Sigma Managing Director Bob Spinner, whose information security investments have included Fortify Software (HP) and Vormetric, will participate as a board observer.
- AlienVault’s board of directors also includes cyber security veterans J. Alberto Yépez of Trident Capital (AlienVault’s Chairman), Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace, Fortinet CFO Kenneth Goldman, former Fortify Software CEO John M. Jack, as well as investor Alberto Gomez of Adara Venture Partners, AlienVault President & CEO Barmak Meftah, co-founder Julio Casal and board observers Mike Biggee of Trident Capital, and AlienVault co-founder Dominique Karg.
- Recently placed in the Visionaries quadrant of the “2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Security Information and Event Management,” AlienVault has experienced tremendous growth in the first half of this year, more than doubling in revenue. The company has over 300 customers, adding over 60 net new customers in the first half of 2012 and enjoying an over 50% upsell rate into existing customers. New customers include some of the biggest names in software, financial services, higher education, telecommunications, state and local government, and insurance, and have chosen AlienVault for its cost-effective, comprehensive security management platform.
- In February, AlienVault announced the largest community-sourced threat intelligence feed and database, the AlienVault Open Threat Exchange™, which boasts contributions from over 50 countries around the globe and a rapid rate of continuing growth. In addition, 2012 has seen close to 25,000 users download AlienVault’s open source SIEM, OSSIM, the most widely-deployed SIEM worldwide.
- Recently AlienVault was recognized by Red Herring as one of their Top 100 North America Tech Startups for 2012, and by AlwaysOn as an OnDemand Top 100 Private Companies for 2012.
“Having been involved in the SIEM market since its inception, I have a deep appreciation for the new and exciting direction AlienVault is taking the technology and the market. Their open and collaborative Unified Security Management platform provides the kind of security visibility that no one has been able to deliver on yet. I’m very glad to be partnering with such a seasoned and successful team of executives to help evolve the security and SIEM markets.” – Ted Schlein, Managing Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
“Watching the new executive team and founders come together and execute our mission for Unified Security Management has been astounding. AlienVault’s rapid expansion is a tribute to a great group of experienced leaders and innovative security professionals whose work will inevitably change the business of security as we know it. AlienVault is a cornerstone in Trident Capital’s comprehensive portfolio of leading security investments including Mocana, Qualys, Solera Networks and Voltage Security. We welcome the new investors and board members who share our vision and passion for making security ‘visibility’ a reality for all. Needless to say, we are excited to continue our deep involvement in the company’s growth and success.” – J. Alberto Yépez, Managing Director, Trident Capital and AlienVault’s Chairman of the Board of Directors
“Having worked with much of the AlienVault executive team when they were with Fortify, I trust in their ability to realize both the technology and market potential that their solutions represent. Their unique approach to security is something the market is hungry for, and I truly believe that with this team at the helm, AlienVault has the opportunity to redefine how security is done.” – Bob Spinner, Managing Director, Sigma
“AlienVault has seen tremendous growth in just a few short years. The founders and new executive team have done a great job of nurturing the company’s research and engineering roots in Spain while expanding the business’ footprint in the United States and abroad. This is a truly global company executing at a global scale.” – Alberto Gomez, Managing Partner, Adara Venture Partners
“It’s quite an honor to work with Kleiner Perkins and Sigma again. We’re also incredibly fortunate to have the ongoing support and involvement of Trident Capital and Adara Venture Partners. We now have one of the most accomplished groups of executives and investors in information security at AlienVault’s helm. We’re proud to have such an esteemed group of investors to partner with as we establish AlienVault as the leader in Unified Security Management.” – Barmak Meftah, AlienVault President & Chief Executive Officer
- Read more about our placement in the Visionaries quadrant the Gartner 2012 SIEM MQ
- Learn more about the AlienVault Unified Security Management™ platform
- Learn more about the AlienVault Open Threat Exchange
- Download OSSIM for free
Email: [email protected]